zaterdag 25 februari 2012

Vertaling van "De tuinman en de dood".

THE GARDENER AND DEATH.

A French Nobleman:

This morning rushes in my gardener, pale of fright:
"Lord, Lord, one moment, if I might!

There, between roses, I was pruning shoot by shoot.
Then I looked behind and saw that Death there stood.

Startled I was running to the other end
And just perceiv'd the menace of his hand.

Lord, your horse, and let me go at once,
Before night falls I might arrive at Orléans!"

This afternoon - since long he was already gone -
I met Death besides the rhododenderon.

"Why", is my question - since he waits and doesn't speak -
"Today made you my servant shriek?".

And smiling his response: "It was no thread
For which your gardner fled. I was surprised

To see this morning working in a glance
The one I have to fetch tonight at Orléans."                      P.N. van Eyck
                                                                             

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten